June 25, 2012

Touché Hombre

 Last week I got an insatiable craving for Tacos.

Being the lazy sod that I am, we ended up going out to dinner for tacos rather than me just whipping them up. What can I say, living in the city has its perks.

My thighs don’t agree with me, but my stomach definitely does.

We headed down to Touché Hombre at about 7PM and were told that there was no seating room, unless we sat at the bar.

 

This was fine by us so we sat at the bar and I discovered my stool was broken so The Husband gallantly swapped mine for his and put up with the wobbly uneven short stool. Sucker.

 

 

I was relieved to see real cutlery this time as the last time I ate here the cutlery was all wooden and disposable.

Just thinking about it makes my skin crawl, my mouth dry out and my teeth get extra sensitive. It’s like when they put the paddlepop stick in your mouth at the doctors. Ergh.
I need to change the subject, this is grossing me out.



The atmosphere is pretty cool and the room sits about 80 people and is always jam packed whenever I walk past.

The music is very loud, but when sitting next to each other at the bar we didn’t need to shout much.

If you are one of those people who likes to complain about loud music, I can already tell that Touché Hombre is not the place for you.  



Totopos
Tortilla chips, guacamole, Egmont cheese, sour cream and spicy salsa
$10

This is seriously good. Forget about the cutlery and use your fingers I say! 



The Husband had:

De Carnitas
Spiced pork, apple, sage, chicharrones and habanero cream
$6

Del Coronel
Chargrilled chicken, chimichurri & toasted pepitas
$6

De Pescado
Battered day-boat fish, pickled cucumbers, capers and shallots
$7 

Whilst I had:

2 x De Carne
Beef meatballs, Egmont cheese, jalapenos and tortilla crumble
$6



I don’t think three tacos and some nachos were enough for The Husband, considering I had two tacos and nachos and was still ravenous. Next time we will order more, and get dessert as well. 



The Husband had some form of beer that was on tap, due to the waitresses all having thick accents and the music being so loud that he had no idea what she said she had, so he just accepted it. 


I feel the same way about these straws as I do the wooden cutlery but I sucked it up.
No pun intended, haha.

Don’t be fooled by my cup, there’s only water in there.
They serve the cocktails in jam jars. 



The Husband came to the conclusion that he prefers my tacos more, but that it is still a good place.


Listen, I cant deny that I am in love with these business cards.
They are shaped like TACOS. Tacos people, tacos!!!


We stopped off at Jerkey House for something to hit my sweet spot and I wasn’t disappointed.

Lollie galore! Hurrah.


I prefer the gummy type of lollies, they don’t hurt my teeth.

How do you fancy my new lips?
Some might say that they look delectable. I know I would.

Overexposed photos hide redness and problem skin. My best friend. 


I was wearing OPI Black Onyx, but I swear it looked better in real life.
Take my word for it. 


My easy going taco devouring outfit consisted of:

Zara Jeans
DKNY Trench Coat
Random Scarf
Nude Boots

I couldn’t find my belt thing so put a belt on to give it some form of shape but the belt came out of the loops whilst it was hanging up at Touché Hombre and it was nearly never seen again.

 So, what is the deal with the taco craze sweeping around Melbourne? Has it hit other states also?

Have you been to Touché Hombre, and if so – did you like it? 

42 comments:

  1. It has indeed hit Sydney as well. I love Mexican food though, so I'm not complaining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not been to Touche Hombre but have done Mexicali Rose in Richmond and wouldn't mind trying out Mama Sitas- I reckon mexican just suits the laid back, easy going vibe of melbourne mannnn?? Haha. Tummy is rumbling now.

    Love the Black Onyx. I have totally gone over to the dark side with nail polish recently, am wearing a dark blue chanel one at the mo, can't remember its name but it's sexy as.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Mexicali Rose, the servings are decent sizes even if the service is a bit iffy!

      I like a dark blue, it took me ages to like Russian Navy when I first got it, but I do prefer a black or dark brown now.

      Delete
    2. I didnt like Mexicali Rose, but try Fonda - just down the road and delish!!

      Delete
  3. Yum, yum and yum... Though I do find that home made mexican always seems better? no idea why.

    Love the nails :)

    Haven't noticed it hitting brisbane... but I'll probably be looking out for it now!

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Mmmmmm mexican with minced meat. So good.

      Delete
    2. Miss Megs Cactus Jacks at Logan is worth the trek. I got addicted to it when I lived in Townsville. Can't complain about $10 bottomless chilli on Tuesday's

      Delete
  4. How do you expect to be healthy if you fill your body with all that rubbish????????

    ReplyDelete
  5. Moz, I married a Mexican and so I can say will all surety that the best tacos in Melbourne are at Mamasitas. They are super delicious.

    Also, if you are ever in Sydney, the craze is here as well. Yum! But not as good as the ones we make at home ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I will have to go there to try them!!

      I am in Sydney in a few weeks, but only for a day trip :(

      Delete
    2. Agree... Mamasitas is awesome!

      Delete
  6. ^Haha Anon. Rubbish is fast food, this is just fatty & everything in moderation indeed!

    Anyway, what I came to say is I am the same with wooden sticks at the docs/paddle pops etc. Whole reason I didn't eat dixie cups when everyone else did at school. And what about paper lollypop sticks? UGH.

    I can't stand Mexican food, so I am waiting for the next craze.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ergh dixie cups.

      I am seriously shuddering just THINKING about it!!!! YUCK!

      Delete
  7. Your blog has become the main resource for my trip to Melbourne! Love some good Mexican x

    ReplyDelete
  8. In Perth there are heaps of Mexican places popping up, but they all suck. It's either cheap tacos where you go to get drunk, or over-priced pretentious Mexican where the servings are small & the taste not very good.

    When I visited Melb I tried Los Amates & LOVED IT! Wish we had an equivalent back home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have heaps of crap Mexican places too, don't worry.

      That's the only downside of Touché Hombre, the actual tacos are quite small!

      I have not heard of Los Amates but will look it up now.

      Delete
    2. Los Amates is really good too! Oh delicious... I'm hungry now!

      Delete
  9. Tacos, I want tacos!

    And your mani!

    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love mexican. :) Pity it hasn't hit up Darwin yet - i expect it to be a few years! Heck we dont even have a Myer here! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I only like a good dark nail, or a classic red. Can't go wrong with either. I set myself up with shellac, and almost always wear either "Fedora" or "Wildfire" Haha.

    I love me some Mexican though. Phwoar, hit me with a chimmychanga <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look so cute and snug! Love everything about that outfit especially the nails! Taco's are the best - though I only eat Fajitas at mexican restaraunts coz I dont think you can beat an old El paso Taco!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a good place! I read your post on Gingerboy a while ago- are there any other restaurants in Melbourne you could recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  14. For Adelaide peeps I recommend Arriba Grill on Prospect road for tasty, huge and cheap burritos!

    ReplyDelete
  15. jerkey house looks like my sort of place! is it like $30/kilo though? last time i went to such a lolly place i went crazy and bought like $50 worth of lollies.. :( my dentist was not impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm for the bag we got it was about $10 so that sounds about right. Your dentist should be happy, you are putting his kids through uni!

      Delete
  16. For some reason whenever I eat it out I eat a truck load of nachos and feel horrid afterwards. That said after a big night of drinking instead of a maccas stop is there a Mexican place open.. A burrito would hit the spot!

    I like that outfit... You can rock the boot that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha no way dude, a maccas stop is mandatory - or hungry jacks. none of this mexicana bizzness.

      Delete
  17. Great blog! But I noticed you took down the post about the aquarium-why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a draft that just popped up!! I'll put it back up this week, just need to read through as I don't think I had completed the post!!

      Delete
  18. I love me a dark mani, I always go for dark reds, purples and blacks. Hot :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. i havent been there but now i want to! my bf was saying last night that we never go for mexican and we need to...soooo i should check out this place!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Why oh why did I read this post? I am CRAVING tacos now! At least I have some good Taco weather - rainy and cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha I am always craving tacos, it is like a disease.

      Delete
  21. Hi Mez!
    I was wondering if you would mind doing a post on what skincare you use, especially what you use to wash/cleanse/scrub your face?

    I'm trying to find new products and would be interested to see what you use/think is good.

    Thanks very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mina I have terrible skin haha but okay, I will do a post of my skin care and what I do and do not like!!

      Delete
  22. Hi Mez,
    I have troublesome skin too! The skin on my face is quite dull, flaky, sensitive and I struggle with blackheads. I thought you would understand what we go through to try and make our skin look okay and clean! I was interested to see what you use as a moisturiser too, I always feel as though I'm clogging my pores when I put it on. Thanks for responding to my comment, it's really nice to know i'm not the only one who has unfortunate skin! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails