June 17, 2012

Designer Soles - Review

A couple of months back I was contacted by Secret Solini - Designer Soles and was sent out a box containing their red soles product.

My first thought? Okay, way to rip off Christian Louboutin.

If I am going to do a product a review, I tell the truth and am not at all influenced by the company. 



The Secret Solini Designer Soles are basically a sticky contact paper type of product, which is applied to the sole and heel of your shoes to add color or pattern. 


The product comes with 3 x stickers, 1 x blade for cutting said stickers and also a sterilized towelette to clean your shoes before applying the product.


I instantly had flashbacks of applying contact to my school folders in high school. What a disaster that was.


I decided to use my black Windsor Smith patent black heels to apply and test out the product.

I wiped the soles and heel with the alcohol wipe (noting that there was only one wipe, yet enough stickers to do 3 pairs of shoes).


I was unable to take photos as I used the blade, as I needed both hands.

One hand to apply and smooth out the sticker, and the other to trim it along the base line. 
I don't know if I am just relatively unco, but I found it difficult to achieve a perfect cut line. 

It took a few times of re-applying to smooth out bubbles that were created under the sticker which lead to me getting frustrated and sighing a lot. 


Like I said, they instantly made me think of fake Christian Louboutins.
I do not approve of blatant fakes, of any item.

I remember when Peepshow Shoes used to have a red sole and then a lawsuit had them change to purple soles. 

I was thinking that perhaps they could be perfect to re-sole my Louboutin's, rather than using a Vibram sole but I have changed my mind. 


The red is not the exact same, but close enough that nobody would notice the difference. 


I must say, it is a clever idea for a product, and I do like the other colors and patterns, just not the red.

The pink polka dot are my favorite, and the baby blue sole would be perfect for a bride on her wedding day! A great way to include 'Something Blue' without it being too obvious under your dress.



You can purchase the Secret Solini - Designer Soles on their website, here, for $14.99 for one pair and $29.99 for three.

What are your thoughts on the Designer Sole product? Genius or Too Much Effort?

34 comments:

  1. I think they're a cute idea.. But would also stay away from the red ones..
    Maybe the patterned ones to add a little something 'extra' to a pair of heels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the patterned ones are definitely the cutest!

      Delete
  2. I'm thinking whoever photoshopped those promo pics needs to be shot! Awful!!!

    I think the polka dot & blue soles are cute, but the red ones are a bit off; I'm not into "rip offs".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I reviewed these a month or so back and I agree with you, especially about the wipe! Not a fan of the red but I think the wedding themed ones are cute.

    I also used to be hopeless at covering my school books. Bubble central. But at least I could focus my attention on moving them about and popping them, rather than on less important things like maths...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha maths. Memories.

      P.S - I can not go on your blog because Google Chrome tells me their is a virus and shuts it down? Weird!!
      Honestly, I have had the product for about 4 months but just have not been bothered to do them before now, the blade made me think it was so much work.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for letting me know! I skimmed over someone writing about that happening in blogger in general yesterday but didn't pay attention. Typical. I will go and investigate - I think it could be to do with my blog roll. Definitely need to sort it out!

      Delete
  4. I reviewed these a few months ago and felt the same about the red soles. I love the idea of the patterned ones (I was given leopard print and I LOVED them) but didn't touch the red ones I was given. The blue ones are super cute though and would totally wear them on my wedding day (if I was wearing heels! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems like too much effort, to me.

    I think the red is tacky, but the patterns are pretty cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. they contacted me too to do a review but i refused because it requires too much work and im not very good with sharp objects!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard that glossy red spray paint works well.

    I want to try this, but I have a feeling I would leave a trail of glitter everywhere I go.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-fNRDcp_sc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll check the youtube link on my lunch break, but if it involves glitter spray paint - count me in.

      Delete
  8. They sound really annoying to apply... And I loose patience easily!

    But the pastel ones look alright against a black shoe. Just looks like they wear and tear so quickly for such effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wore them today to show you.. but where are you?

      Home in bed you lazy sod.

      Delete
  9. Definitely too much effort for me, but I am the type to put shoes on and that's in. I'm not in to jazzing things up too much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like a bit of an arts and crafts project, but usually if it involves a blade, I am out.

      Delete
  10. I think the pink polka dots are quite cute, but really not sure if I could be effed going to the effort except for a very special occasion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pink would be so cute for an expectant mother at a baby shower who was having a girl!

      Delete
  11. These are interesting! I have never tried vibrams on my loubs - one day I will!

    www.mstylepicturebook.blogspot.co.uk (parisian style blog)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither have I, they look so thick and chunky!

      Delete
  12. cute idea :)
    xx
    www.clothesandcamera.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree 100%. I'm not really a fan of blatant rip-offs (though I realise the red ones are probably for people who are), but I think the other coloured/patterned soles are super cute. I was rubbish at contacting my books in school though so I probably wouldn't have the necessary skills anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm not sure about the rip off reds...

    Do love the polka dot ones though...

    Good idea, don't think I would try them, bound to ruin my shoes haha

    ReplyDelete
  15. Totally agree about the red and not liking rip offs. The wedding ones would be really sweet. Personally it's a bit too much effort for me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ok, the blue is adorable for a wedding day but agree with you on the fake red sole thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Seriously tempted to find the leopard print ones! I'll get hubby to apply them, he's a pro at contacting our sons school books! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  18. Patterns could be cool, but I think the red looks cheap. I would probably buy them if they were precut, I don't have the skills to do it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  19. People do realise the CL was not the first one to use red on the underside of shoes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Name some people who used it before he did, since he's been doing it for 20 years now.

      Delete
  20. If you can get the look you want without paying the price, why not? Maybe people want a red sole for the look, not to imitate a designer. Personally I wouldn't pay $15-$30 when I can get a pair of shoes themselves for that much either.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The baby blue are so cute for a wedding but no way would I wear the red, blatent fakery!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I Just read your article and wanted to add a comment or two!
    I am Tara Haughton from Ireland and I invented this idea in 2010 I am from Ireland... and did this as a School project, I now sell my product in 25 countries and in over 30 designs and colours..

    I have made the product to give all women the ability to add a dash of colour to a pair of shoes either to give them a design look or to match an outfit... The link below is a video I made to show how easy they are to fit.... Great balance to your article keep up the great work Tara..xxx

    http://www.rossosolinishop.com/pages/use-our-product

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails